10.08.2011

Grocery Day? Already??

I tell you what. The month of October is not shaping up to be super for the Sexy Divorcee. My reading load has gotten ridiculous, my students are taking up all of my energy, my house is a mess, and there are so many damn birthdays and parties and things going on! I haven't had a break since the month started, and I'm not likely to get one any time soon. It's getting to be a "clean all the things?" kind of situation over here.

So I was chagrined to realize that, oh my god, two weeks have gone by and I'm running out of food. I have to go to the grocery store today; I don't have time to do it tomorrow, and anyway I am out of coffee, and what is the point of living if there is no coffee? So I made up my plan for the next two weeks, and headed off to the store. I don't know how this happened, but the bill was a little pricey this week, almost $90. Luckily I just got paid, but yikes. I did buy some staples that I was running out of that are a little more expensive--olive oil and stuff--but jeez. An 8 oz bag of frozen peas was like, $3 or something. That seems like a lot. I found myself wandering through the store going, "wow, that seems like a lot," well, a lot, this morning. But anyway, my shopping is done, so I can get back to all the other things I need to do.

Before I get into my list and plan for the next two weeks, let's rank and review my last plan. Take a look at this post to learn more about my ranking and review criteria. I am adding a new one: good-for-you-ness. This criterion (like the rest of them, honestly) is kind of sketchy, since I'm not a nutrition expert or anything. It's mostly based on my sense of things.

1. Sweet and Sour Pork
Convenience: 3
Deliciousness: 5
Value: 3
Leftover-worthiness: 4
Good-for-you-ness: 4 (good balance of protein and vegetables, and the sauce isn't fatty or anything. It might be a bit on the salty side to be considered truly healthy)

2. Tony Rigatoni
Convenience: 4
Deliciousness: 4
Value: 4 (the sausage is really the only thing here that is a bit more expensive)
Leftover-worthiness: 3
Good-for-you-ness: 3 (the sweet potato and arugula are full of vitamins; the sausage, unfortunately, is full of fat)

3. Chicken mole enchiladas
Convenience: 2
Deliciousness: 4
Value: 3
Leftover-worthiness: 3-4 (I would say this is a solid 4 if you have a microwave; I don't, and reheating them well is a bit tricky for me)
Good-for-you-ness: 3 (I'm going to go ahead and call this moderately healthy, even though the chocolate, nuts, cheese, and cooking oil add fat. The sauce is vegetable and vitamin rich, chicken is lean, and the corn tortillas are whole-grain.)

4. Chana Masala
Convenience: 5
Deliciousness: 4
Value: 4
Leftover-worthiness: 5
Good-for-you-ness: 5

5. Chicken with Roasted Vegetable Pilaf
I realize have not posted a recipe for this one. I simply didn't have time. I'll get around to it eventually.
Convenience: 3
Deliciousness: 3
Value: 4
Leftover-worthiness: 3
Good-for-you-ness: 5

6. Yellow Split Pea and Sweet Potato Soup
I also haven't posted a recipe for this, but I pretty much used this recipe from Fat Free Vegan, substituting arugula for kale.
Convenience: 4
Deliciousness: 2-3 (My version of this didn't taste bad, it was just kind of boring and disappointing. It would have been better if I had used the whole spices instead of substituting ground, and if I had an immersion blender than I could have used to smooth it out a bit. On the upside, it is totally vegan, and fat free.)
Value: 5
Leftover-worthiness: 4
Good-for-you-ness: 4

I also made tuna melts and tomato soup, but because they were not part of my original plan, I won't rank them.

So here's my plan for the next two weeks. New recipes are in italics:

Dal nirvana x 3 (once again, this was on my last plan, but I haven't made it yet)
Butter chicken and rice x 4
Rigatoni with sausage, peppers and onions x 4
Fried rice x 2
White bean and chicken chili x 4
Shrimp tacos x 2
Pasta carbonara x 3
Cuban black beans and shrimp x 2

And here's my shopping list:
Frozen peas
Unsalted butter, 1 lb
Skim milk, 1 quart
Black beans, 2 cans
Great northern beans, 1 lb dry
Crushed tomatoes, 28-oz can
Diced green chiles, 1 can
Low sodium chicken stock, 1 quart
Extra virgin olive oil
Vegetable oil
Corn tortillas, 1 dozen
Coffee beans, 1 lb
Parmesan, bulk wedge
Bacon, 1/2 lb
Chicken breasts, package of 3
Frozen Baja shrimp, 1 lb bag
Red onions, 3 lb bag
Garlic
Napa cabbage
Roma tomatoes, 1 lb
Cilantro, 1 bunch
Bell peppers, 2 green, 1 red
1 avocado
2 mangos
2 grapefruit
4 bananas

I don't think any of the recipes I've chosen for the next two weeks are particularly complicated, and I've thrown a couple in there that are really fast and and easy; fried rice and shrimp tacos. I wanted to make things relatively easy, knowing that my work load isn't going to let up any time soon. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment